What is an LMS Learning Management System?
What is a Learning Management System (LMS)? A Learning Management System (LMS) is a website used by schools to create online classrooms. Students can view learning content, interact with one another and their teacher, complete assignments and be graded within the LMS.
I’m often asked, “Can you give examples and explain why an LMS is relevant today?” Here’s a few reasons why I know a robust LMS is more important than ever.
- Online Safety: While teaching online, teachers can ensure that all learning activities and materials are in a shared and safe location so that students know where to go and not venture into risky areas of the internet.
- Customized Learning: An LMS allows teachers to create customized learning experiences to address the unique needs of their students and class.
- Online Classroom Management: Teachers can easily schedule calls, make announcements, grade assignments, track progress, view student activity and get feedback all within an LMS.
- Flexible Schools: Classrooms have a shared online location where students and teachers can interact and learn whether online, blended, hybrid, face-to-face, or traditional.
Some food for thought:
- What is your experience with your school’s LMS?
- How do you promote online safety in your virtual classroom?
About the Author
Ellen Paxton is a respected expert in education and best known as the Chief Learning Officer of Professional Learning Board. As a two-time National Board Certified Teacher, Ellen has successfully published and customized online professional development courses and Learning Management Systems for 20 years to help teachers meet their state continuing education renewal credit requirements. Through ProfessionalLearningBoard.com, RenewaTeachingLicense.com, ConnectedPD.com, and FlexibleSchools.com, Ellen has established solutions and maintained partnerships with several accredited universities, higher education institutions, teachers’ unions and state Departments of Education while setting strategic direction that makes a difference and overseeing implementation of popular online PD.